Friday, May 18, 2012

Strolling With Us

After touring Europe for the last 2 weeks, I saw something in this week's Torah portion that resonated with me. In Bechokotai , G-d tells the Jewish people: "I will place My dwelling in your midst...I will stroll among you, I will be your G-d, and you will be my people." (Leviticus 26:11-12) Commenting on this verse, Rabbi Ovadiah Sforno of the 16th century writes: "The word stroll denotes that G-d will be among the Israelites wherever they go and not limited to one specific place, the sanctuary. 'I will stroll among you' - G-d's glory will be manifest wherever His children venture."


When I traveled through Europe, I definitely found it harder to feel G-d there compared to Israel, where I lived in Jerusalem for 2 years. The same can be said here in America (although the threat to Jews is felt more in Europe, and therefore one feels more out of place). But this verse is telling us, that the truth is that G-d "strolls" with us wherever we find ourselves. And we can feel that anywhere. During my trip, primarily because I was more isolated with less support to rely on in unfamiliar surroundings, I was able to also feel a greater connection to G-d. Ultimately, the place for teh Jewish people is in Israel where "I will place My dwelling."

But in the Torah elsewhere, G-d Says "Make me a dwelling, and I will dwell in it." What's interesting to note, is that the word translated "it" is "b'tocham" which really means "in them" - "I will dwell in them." Ultimately, G-d Desires to dwell with each of us personally. Through good deeds, Torah & Mitzvot, each of us form ourselves into a comfortable dwelling for G-d. And then wherever we find ourselves, He is strolling with us as much as if we were standing 2,000 years ago in the temple in Jerusalem.

May we always remember that there is a G-dly presence near us at all times. As the holy Baal Shem Tov said: "Always be joyful. Think and believe with perfect faith that the Shechinah (G-dly Presence) is at your side and watches over you. You look at the Creator, blessed be He, and the Creator, blessed be He, looks at you." (Tzava'at Harivash 137:8)

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment